DJ Spinna



DJ Spinna has had a special place in my heart and record collection for nearly a decade.

When I was branching out musically, learning about the more obscure rare grooves, DJ Spinna was instrumental in my education.  His name was attached to many a compilation like  The Wonder of Stevie that I consider to be blueprints to bangers. He even produced house music tracks.

I've been in awe of him, his knowledge and what I imagine is the vastness of his record collection. If the people distributing those CD collections trusted his taste, I would have to do the same. 

I believe the first DJ Spinna collection I heard was Funkrock - Rock Breaks & Guitars For Funky People, which has been been rather influential on me to this day.



Thanks to DJ Spinna and that CD, I’ve gotten rather familiar with acts like Buddy Miles, Brian Auger, Julie Driscoll & The TrinityColosseum and Zoo. It would take years but most of their albums would eventually enter my own collection for use on my Suite Delight radio show.

I got to catch a live set and meet DJ Spinna a couple of years ago.  I was lucky to have learned he was spinning at the Red Bull Space before heading for CMJ and to have found my CD copy of The Beat Suite to bring with me.
I was the first among my Concordia University's radio station troupe to spot DJ Spinna as he walked into the Red Bull Space. I gave him a little time to settle in before approaching him. I immediately told him about my respect for his work and how influential he's been on me. When I showed him the CD, he was pretty surprised. When he signed it, I was pretty surprised. The man who had a hand in shaping my musical being for the last decade was beside me, signing my CD. I wish I had snatched up the other ones I had of his before the trip. One is better than none in my case.


DJ Spinna announced he would be DJing with strictly 45 RPM vinyls during his set.  That was of course a treat for me. I was happy to hear the original samples to some of hip hop's classics.  I am more albums oriented because I could and should have more music to play for the money I pay.  Those that are very familiar with 7” singles tend to be those that have a strong grasp of albums in their collections and can afford to travel and spin light.
Catching a set and speaking to what I consider a musical mentor like DJ Spinna was among the highlights of that year. 

Prior to his 24 Hours of Vinyl DJ set, DJ Spinna last performed in Montreal at Salon Daome for Oasis Wednesdays.
Thank you to the organizers for helping make those nights and this post possible.

No comments: