
After leaving Jeff Mills’ last Mutek set at Metropolis and getting a bite to eat, I heard familiar sounds that soothed my soul and ears.
A car with up to 5 teens/young adults was blasting Rock Me Baby by Otis Redding.
I hadn’t heard that song in years and it got me to reminiscing about Big O.
I always knew Sitting on the Dock of the Bay was sung by Otis Redding but did not do any further research until the mid-late 90s. By that time, I started veering away from hip hop and listening to its source material. My late uncle had Otis Redding Story collection and on a whim, I recorded the songs onto audio cassettes and brought them home with me from New York.
I killed those tapes to the point that I decided to get some Otis Redding albums of my own.
Among them was Otis Blue, the album with Rock Me Baby. Otis albums are phenomenal but there is something about Otis Blue. There is not one weak cut on the album but only songs you can like more than others.
For convenience sake, I let go of Otis Blue for The Definitive Otis Redding compilation.
The Suite Delight new time slot is Tuesday morning 1-2am EST on www.ckut.ca & 90.3 FM.
If you haven't already, please make yourself familiar with the link below for more of your favorite show and mine.
Below are podcasts to bring you up to speed. Click here to download them
The Suite Delight February 18, 2014 Playlist:
1. The Incredible Bongo Band - Let There Be Drums
2. The Incredible Bongo Band - Bongo Rock
3. Aretha Franklin - Chain of Fools
4. Roberta Flack & Donny Hathaway - Back Together Again
5. The Souljazz Orchestra - Rejoice Pt. 2
6. Gil Scott-Heron - The Revolution Will Not Be Televised
7. Otis Redding - These Arms of Mine
8. Asheru & Blue Black of The Unspoken Heard - B-Boy
9. Roc C - Don't Stop feat. Oh No & Pox Dog
10. De La Soul - Potholes In My Lawn
11. Superlover Cee & Casanova Rud - Do The James
12. Master Ace - Go Where I Will Send Thee
13. Koncept – Aspirations feat. Soul Khan
14. Abdominal - T.Ode feat. Notes to Self
The Suite Delight - January 28 Playlist:
1. Chic - Good Times
2. Michael Bloomfield - Killing Floor
3. Otis Redding - The Huckle-Buck
4. The Souljazz Orchestra - Kelen Ati Leen
5. Twilight - Straight To My Heart
6. Madlib - Stormy
7. Poor Righteous Teachers - Rock Dis Funky Joint (On Fire Remix)
8. Black Moon - How Many MCs (DJ Evil Dee Remix)
9. DJ K.O. - Ladder of Success feat. Masta Ace, Wordsworth, K Hill & Phonte
10. Dan-e-o - Margerine
11. Zion I & The Grouch - Trains And Planes
12. D-Sisive - Brian Wilson

No comments:
Post a Comment