
Years ago, I was at the Montreal music library and took a chance on a Chess Records compilation. It was one of the best things I could have done for myself musically.
I was meant to learn that Blues music is very important to any music lover's consciousness and Chess Records is the alpha & omega record label.
Although I was aware of his name for years, hearing First Time I Met the Blues from that compilation would be my first time hearing Buddy Guy. It would be the only song I would know of his until a purchase of Buddy's Blues last year.
I didn't get around to listening to the CD until a few days ago. The 15 tracks didn't finish playing before the inspiration to blog about Buddy Guy hit me.
What I took away from that initial Chess Records compilation was that Buddy Guy was among the youngest of the label's blues recording artists and Buddy's Blues reinforced my initial observations. Aside from the gravelly-voiced Howling Wolf or grandfatherly-sounding Sonny Boy Williamson, Buddy Guy's youthful blues singing and wails gave me the impression he was the next generation's blues leader in training.

First Time I Met The Blues has all of the conditions I need for me to like it. With my love for screaming soul singers, Guy's delivery gives me the dramatics I enjoy in a song as well.
When the opportunity presented itself for me to buy Buddy's Blues, I knew I would get over a dozen more chances to experience Buddy Guy's music. Stone Crazy and Pretty Baby caught my attention and ear after my first listen.
I have yet to catch a live Buddy Guy performance and I believe he was in my city not too long ago. Thanks to YouTube, I am able to see the Blues legend at work.
No comments:
Post a Comment