The New Warriors


I went to a comic book convention a few years ago with some friends and I'm pretty sure they were confused as to why I was asking every vendor for The New Warriors series. I'll explain now.

If there's a word for someone that wants to get the complete works of something, I'm it. Whatever I like, I try to get all of the books, CDs or DVDs if possible. I'm a fan of Marvel Comics teams like X-Men and Avengers. I wasn't big on X-Men until the Extinction Agenda story line. Prior to that, X-Men was too much for me. I almost felt it was older than me. 

Since it had been around almost as long as Spider-Man, I felt like I was too late to follow the series. Even if I wanted to catch up, it seemed the back issues were so numerous and costly that it stopped me. It wasn't until The Extinction Agenda storyline that I felt comfortable with the series.


The New Warriors came along and I was interested on the spot. It had all the winning conditions to hook me. It was a new series, young team and new beginnings with a first issue. I liked the whole vibe of the comic book. A bunch of young superheroes working together and making a difference interested me. I was happy there was a Black member, a red-hot redhead, a red-hot Atlantean and a telekinetic.

I barely read the comics. I bought them, bagged them and put them away. I made it up to 30-40 issues until I stopped collecting in 1991-93. I would've possibly continued with The New Warriors even afterwards but I stopped cold.

Many years later when I moved to my first apartment, I imagined chilling, reading some comics on Sunday afternoons and remembered The New Warriors. I'd collect from where I left off and read them at my leisure.



Not too long ago, Capitaine Quebec had a sale on back issues and they practically had all the New Warriors I was missing. The price was ridiculously cheap but I proved to be cheaper. The comics got cheaper as the sale came to an end and I wanted to EBay the sale by cleaning up near the end. One the day I was ready to claim them, the ones I was missing were sold. I had the chance to pick up what I was missing and lost it. 

Since then, I picked up the few I missed and even some doubles of some issues. Lucky for me, the series is available, affordable and I don't need many more for my collection to be complete.

No comments: