Bobbie Gentry - Ode to Billy Joe


The photo above represents my third contact with Bobbie Gentry’s Ode to Billy Joe album for the year. Had I not already purchased it twice prior, I very well may have bought that one on that day. The second purchase was something of a mistake but proves that I very much wanted to own the album when I thought I didn’t.

I have always known Ode to Billy Joe was written and sung by Bobbie Gentry. For me to know that nugget of information regarding a country song says a lot.
I first found her Ode to Billy Joe album around the same time I discovered one of her tracks was on Light in the Attic’s Country Funk 1969-1975 compilation. While digging in the crates, I came across the Ode album and only at that moment had an interest towards country music beyond Johnny Cash or Buck Owens. 

but the Ode to Billy Joe album took my focus. Perhaps it was the naturalistic album cover of Gentry in a simple white t-shirt and shorts with a guitar that grabbed me. Her being a brunette didn’t hurt either. 

The inspiration to write about Bobbie Gentry had always been there for most of the summer. It was after seeing her appear on yet another compilation in 2012 that I decided to post this earlier rather than later. I played Mississippi Delta on CKUT’s The Goods when I was fill-in host.  I also played two Gentry cuts on The Suite Delight. 
The inspiration to write about Bobbie Gentry had always been there for most of the summer. It was after seeing her appear on yet another compilation in 2012 that I decided to post this earlier rather than later. I played Mississippi Delta on CKUT’s The Goods when I was fill-in host.  I also played two Gentry cuts on The Suite Delight. 
Check out the podcast below for more Gentry.



Playlist:
NRBQ - Rocket Number 9
Mongo Santamaria - Cloud Nine
Edwin Starr - Time
Junior Walker & The Allstars - Pucker Up Buttercup
Chairmen Of The Board - Pay To The Piper
The Freedom Sounds feat. Wayne Henderson - Respect
Boobie Knight & The Soulciety - Soul Ain't No New Thing
Eddie Kendricks - Date With The Rain
The Hitch-Hikers feat. The Mighty Pope - Mr. Fortune
Young-Holt Unlimited - Funky Is As Funky Does
Colosseum - Elegy
Joe Bataan - Chick A Boom
Johnnie Taylor - I Could Never Be President
The Spinners - My Whole World Ended (The Moment You Left Me)
Hugh Masekela - Mago
Bob Dylan - Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine)
Bobbie Gentry - Mississippi Delta
Wilson Pickett - Mercy, Mercy
Cannibal & The Headhunters - Land Of 1000 Dances
Eddie Floyd - Knock On Wood
Otis Redding - Don't Mess With Cupid
Mongo Santamaria - Spinning Wheel
Paul Anka - It Doesn't Matter Anymore
The Cougars - Right On
Titanic - Something On My Mind
Madeleine Chartrand - Ani-Kuni
Stevie Wonder - Don't Know Why I Love You
Nina Simone - To Love Somebody
The New Birth - Honeybee
Byron Lee & The Dragonaires - Sweet City Woman
Byron Lee & The Dragonaires - Groovy Situation
Dave & Ansil Collins - Double Barrel
Big Youth - Hit The Road Jack
Max Romeo - Seasons In The Sun

No comments: