Roxanne Shanté




My first memories of  Roxanne Shanté are  from 1986-7 hearing Have a Nice Day on one of my cousin’s cassettes from either Red Alert or Marley Marl’s radio show.


Next would be Go on Girl from the iconic Colors soundtrack. Wack Itt from the Marley Marl compilation followed and ultimately her Bad Sister LP.



Live on Stage alone lands her on my favorite female MCs list for all times.



For a few years I felt that somebody at Pop Montreal must have had a thing for female rappers. I don't blame them. I would do the same if I were on the planning committee. I was thrilled to learn Roxanne Shante would be performing in my hometown for the festival.


Roxanne Shante didn't look too different from her 80s heyday and sounded crisp as she did on her Bad Sister album. So much so that she stated that herself.

No comments: