Sweet Tee - It's Tee Time



In the late 1980s and early 1990s, I was introduced to healthy dose of female hip hop artists while in my teens. Among them were MC Sweet Tee & DJ Jazzy Joyce.

Fortunately for me, I was born at a time to have known about Sweet Tee & Jazzy Joyce to type about them now.

I can admit to seeing their album hanging off of a New York record store wall when the album was released.


There is a Slick Rick/Dana Dane element to her delivery on It’s My Beat. She assumes a regal air that makes you feel she comes from royalty. Sweet Tee is at her most lyrically aggressive As The Beat Goes On. I think there is an early reference to Mike Tyson in one of the verses over the fast-paced drum sample. I Got The Feeling is of course a golden-era homage to the Godfather of Soul.




Sweet Tee was responsible or member of a group of female hip hop artists in the 1990s. Jazzy Joyce is hip hop’s pioneer female DJ still active on the scene today.

Fortunately, this is your introduction to classic hip hop artists and tracks by the duo that should be checked out if they are unfamiliar.



Admittedly, I have never seen a video for any single released from the It’s Tee Time album until after browsing YouTube for a video to compliment this post. As a Canadian teen with no cable television service, I didn’t have much access to hip hop videos back then. Fate did not have it that Sweet Tee be the first female hip hop video I see.

No comments: