2012 was my year of Bobbie Gentry.
I cared little to none about country music for most of my life but acknowledge pioneers of the 50s & 60s like Merle Haggard, Conway Twitty and Loretta Lynn.
I took the time to list my favorite country & western songs a while ago. However, my recent discovery and fascination with Bobbie Gentry almost makes me want to revise the list.
Along with classic music, the country music section of a record store is where you would least find me traipsing.
I was fortunate to have found her Fancy album at the same time. The Fancy album cover features a drawn likeness of Gentry which in itself is interesting.
To my surprise, I discovered Soul Jazz Records released a compilation of female country music singers called Country Soul Sisters and they included two of Gentry’s songs on its track listing. Reunion does not appear on the Fancy album.




No comments:
Post a Comment