A Tribe Called Quest molded my musical knowledge and expectations of hip hop.

The group managed to distinguish themselves from De La Soul by being monumental to hip hop on their own terms.



The Low End Theory is still my favorite of A Tribe Called Quest’s discography.

I forget which of Tribe's albums got classic status in The Source Magazine, but I give it to The Low End Theory.

This album came at the end of the Afrocentric phase and presented the direction East Coast hip hop was going.



Scenario is hip hop's greatest posse cut.

I discovered that the track listing for each format varied from one to the other. The audio cassette order is different from the vinyl, the vinyl is different from the CD and the CD is different from the tape and vinyl. This once again is characteristic of the legendary and mysterious A Tribe Called Quest.



They would repeat that element of surprise on Midnight Marauders where the photo order is different from one format to another.

The Jazz (We Got)/Buggin' Out video is possibly still my favorite hip hop video of all time.

 


No comments: