Rick James


Rick James was the funkiest musician Canada will ever see.  How I came to write that previous sentence would will make for an incredible blog post one day but for now I'll recollect about Rick.

In 1984, Reflections was released as a greatest hits package with a few songs recorded at that time like 17 and You Turn Me On.



In 1985, Glow was Rick James’ last big hit while on Motown’s Gordy label and I would not care too much for it.  I felt it paled in comparison to his prior work and was quick to dismiss it.  I have since changed my mind and embrace the tune. 

His producing Eddie Murphy's Party All the TimeGlow from 1985 was a familiar tune for me but I felt it was less representative of Rick's best work. I would change my mind much later about the song.



In the mid to late 1980s, James left Motown and went to Warner Brothers where he would record Loosey’s Rap with Big Daddy Kane & Roxanne Shante and Everywhere I Go for the Colors soundtrack. 

Rick James had material in the late 1980s with Loosey's Rap and Everywhere I Go from the classic Colors soundtrack but I had disconnected by then.





In the early 1990s, Hammer built and lost his empire on the Rick James sampled Super Freak single.

Prior to that performance, Rick James was wrapped up in legal issues. I remember seeing him as a plaintiff on Judge Joe Brown



Prior to his death, Rick James was fortunately on an upswing courtesy of Dave Chappelle’s legendary sketch comedy television show.  His last televised performance was with the late Teena Marie when they did a raucous rendition of their classic duet Fire & Desire for a BET event.

No comments: